Hi! This is the first post of several where I’ll give book recommendations based on other books. I was actually nervous while I was writing this post because I was scared of people thinking my recommendations made no sense, but I decided to post this anyway because at the end it’s my opinion. If someone finds my recommendations useful, that ‘s GREAT! but if they don’t, that’s okay too.
For each recommendation, I wrote why the books were similar, but also at the end I put the main difference between them. So, here are some adult book I think you’ll like if you liked this YA novels:
- They are both spooky and atmospheric, which is the main reason that I feel like they have a similar vibe, even if Into the Drowning Deep goes a bit more into the scary and gory side of things.
- They have a compelling and diverse cast of characters, and some of the most important characters in both books are not entirely likeable.
- There are mysteries in both of them, in The Diviners the mystery is who or what the killer is and also about the diviners, who are they, what are their abilities and why they have them. In Into the Drowning Deep, there’s mystery surrounding the sirens, do they exist, what species are they parf of and what can they do.
- The main difference in these books is that each of them takes a completely different approach to solving those mysteries, The Diviners does it in paranormal, spiritual, magical way and Into the Drowning Deep takes a very cientific approach.
- Both books have the nicest, loveliest, kindest love interests ever. Total boyfriend material! Also, both are Asian men.
- The female main characters in these books both go through huge character development.
- Diverse characters: The Way You Make Me Feel has Asian and Latinx rep and The Kiss Quotient has Asian and autistic rep.
- Both books have a strong focus on family, but while The Kiss Quotient is very much a romance that also deals with family, The Way You Make Me Feel is a book about family that has romance in it.
- Another difference between the books is that The Kiss Quotient being an adult romance book has a lot of steamy moments, while The Way You Make Me Feel does not.
- Both of these books have beautiful and whimsical writing.
- These stories are set in our world but they have magical elements throw in them that makes it seem like ones is reading modern fairy tales.
- The imagery and the worlds in these books are so captivating.
- They have moments where they are a bit creepy and haunting.
- Diverse characters: When the Moon Was Ours has Latinx, Pakistani and Trans rep and The Beginning of the World in the Middle of the Night has an f/f relationship and addresses disfigurement and bodily difference.
- The main difference between these books is that When the Moon Was Ours is a novel while The Beginning of the World in the Middle of the Night is a collection of short stories.
- Both are fast and engaging reads you can’t seem to stop reading them.
- The writing in both of them is very straighforward and simple. Not beautiful or special in any way, but easy to get through.
- They both have compelling mythology, wheter it revolves around demons or fairies.
- The main characters in both of them are just discovering the existance of this other world and of these other beings.
- They are a bit dark and twisted.
- In both books, romance is present, but it’s not the driving force of the plot. Especially not in the case of Darkfever.
- These books have completely different plots but beyond that I think they are the same type of book and they left me with the same feelings towards them.
Are you planning to reading any of these books? What Adult novels would you recommend based on YA books? Would you like to get recs based on a particular book? Tell me which one in the comments!
Add me on